My birth story...

Saturday, January 16, 2016

First off :: this is written sleep deprived and may not be my best work! And have errors .. Ha!

As reflect back on the birth of London (aka Apple) I feel it wasn't that exciting. But to think of it, a dull delivery story is a good one right? I already experienced three births all that were different.. a doctor assisted hospital birth, midwife assisted hospital, and a midwife assisted home birth. My first son being born when I was only nineteen was very straight forward until his shoulders got stuck on the way out and it became an emergency to get him out safely without breaking his clavicle. He was born in six hours. My second born son was born a quick four hours after labour started. I gave birth in the hospital but checked out within two hours after his arrival. He was my drive-thru baby! My last son Kingley came speeding into the world at a rapid fifty minutes from first contraction to holding him. He was born at home in our bath. All these births were unmedicated and this leads to baby Apple...

At around seven months pregnant we had already faced many upsetting challenges. I had been worn down and started to think about the actual birth. Having good labour and fast deliveries doesn't mean I can get through the pain any better or don't have the fear that comes with facing labour again. I started to think about pains of contractions and the "ring of fire" when pushing baby out. My worry about the pain led me to research epidurals and how they work.  Completely out of my ordinary thought it must always be natural and unmedicated. (For me personally - I don't care what others do. No judgement here!) I am not sure if it was my emotions of having dealt with so many changes and stresses so far or I was just giving myself an excuse to use medication. As the weeks passed by I dropped little hints to my doctor and husband that I was possibly considering an epidural. There was guilt inside of me and I was worried about what people may think. Why would a woman who can deliver babies so easily get an epidural or drugs after having three uncomplicated good deliveries?? I also thought I was going against my inner desire to be a naturalist. Finally I came out and said it ... I had decided that I was getting an epidural. With my new decision and birth plan, the excitement for baby girls birth day was back on track. My days started drag slower than a snails pace as I anxiously I waited for signs of labour. I tried helping her along by keeping active and doing the natural stimulators to get labour going. Then the Friday came that something changed.

That day I had been feeling high anxiety. I was getting tired of being displaced in Vancouver and the thoughts of our vacation rental place being due for us to move out of was stressing me. I also noticed a change with Apple and her movements. Since we had the ECV to flip her she was moving less and less. Knowing I wouldn't sleep, we decided that evening to go to the hospital to have a NST done to make sure everything was ok with her. To our surprise she was perfect but I was not. My blood pressure had shot up to a scary level. (I always had low healthy BP) It was most likely due to the stress I was under. My doctor was working that evening and luckily was there to talk to us about our choices. We decided the best thing was to start labour by breaking my water. After being admitted, it was midnight before my water was broken and in a half hour my contractions had started. They came on quickly and strong like my last baby. I was given an epidural after an hour in  but the pain was still there. (I didn't understand what women raved about with these epidurals at this point... It worked like shit!) I breathed through the pain and kept contracting harder with no progression. My doctor discovered my cervix had a ring of scar tissue that wasn't allowing it to open. I wanted to push through the pain willing my body to contract hard enough to break that scar. After about two hours into labour my nurse could see my discomfort had elevated and called the anaesthetist to up my epidural, this is when we discovered I wasn't actually getting anything! The needle popped out of my back! So again, the anesthesist put the epidural in and praise the lord the pain stopped! It worked like magic. I felt nothing! No pain! It was the best relief ever. I felt so damn awesome I suggested for my husband to go to sleep. I wanted to handle this labour peacefully myself until I was ready to push. (Being a guy he jumped on that offer right away! Lol!) 

After four hours in of contractions and no progression, my doctor had said we needed to boost the strength of my contractions to break the scar or I could be facing a C-section since London was having blips. They gave me what they called a "wif of oxi" and that extra strength and intensity broke the ring. Rapidly, I progressed to fully dilated and was ready to welcome London to the outside world. The nurse woke my snoring husband up to watch the delivery and in a few short pushes London Navy Adelaide was safe in my arms! My heart was bursting.

My experience was so different for this baby. If I could describe it in one word I would say "peaceful". It may sound like I am pushing for epidurals but I am not, I am pushing for women's choice. I chose to do things differently this baby and for me it was using modern medicine. I am thankful I had three babies without interventions or drugs but at the same time I am thankful I allowed myself to try this road without guilt in the end. It didn't make me less of a mother or champion as I thought. 


Post a Comment


Carmen Shalene © All rights reserved